25 March 2013

April Photo a Day

Image from http://fatmumslim.com.au

Okay - I think I can try to do this again. I had fun with it last year until all my technology decided to let me down. I have a few days to make sure I won't have those issues this year. And to invite anyone else who wants to join me to make your own plans to start. If you click on the photo above, you will go to the post on fatmumslim's blog that explains how to participate. You don't need to have a blog to do this. If you are on Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter,  or Flickr  you can join in as well. And tag your photos with #FMSphotoaday so that your photo can be found by everyone else participating.



I decided I needed to do this again after viewing sessions of RootsTech 2013.  They piloted sharing the conference online this year and it was fantastic. So much to learn and be inspired by.  I went out to the Cochrane church building to attend sessions there. A full house turned out to learn about researching our ancestors from 9:00 am - 4:30 pm. Overwhelming in the amount of information shared and on the website you can download all the presentation notes in a zipped file here . And not only the 13 sessions available online but over 100 handouts from presentations not shared remotely. 

One of the keynote speakers, Jyl Pattee of MomItForward Media, spoke of what genealogy looks like today for the generations in the future. How all of the blogs, photos, videos, etc are the digital stories we are creating - not for the next generation but for two generations from now. And how we need to capture all that we can from not our generation but for the two generations before us. Collecting the photos and telling the stories that we can remember and share now. Her example of Banana Cookies was perfect.You can view the presentation here.  (and don't stop there - keep watching - there are some fantastic presentations available at the rootstech.org site.)  And the recipe for Banana Cookies is here

I will try to share more stories and information on my Rhodes Family History blog at  http://rhodeshistory.blogspot.ca/  but to also remember that the stories of today and my own life are important to share. Thanks to those others in my family who share in their own blogs or pictures and news on Facebook or emails. I'm convinced that there is value in this despite thinking that the moments are small but together they make the stories of who we are. If anyone else would like to start blogging but you aren't sure how to begin, I'm available to help you get started!!

1 comment:

Lalainia said...

Great minds think alike. A couple weeks ago I was thinking I should do the April Photo-A-Day challenge as I did it in April last year. I will definitely join you. So much fun! I just wish I was more creative in my pictures.

nRelate - All Sections