22 November 2013

Flickr Friday: Our Puzzle's Origins


IMG_6384
A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jatte (1884 by Georges Seurat)
Art Institute of Chicago
Maybe this is why I chose this puzzle to buy for our week in Arizona. I had forgotten that I saw the original work when we visited Chicago in 2010.

I am much more familiar with the details now than I was at the time.  But I only completed a small fragment compared to Ingrid and Jill - the true puzzle masters of the trip. And Jo-Ann's very very late night efforts also outweigh my contribution. Having the puzzle always set up over the course of the week meant that anyone could sit down and stare and squint and try to see how this green piece was really green, yellow, and blue while this other green piece was really green,  blue and red. It was a lot of that. And having the very last piece actually lost on the carpet until there was nothing else to do but give up or look further afield than directly under our feet didn't help.


1000 pieces -the puzzle completed!


I took one additional photo of the painting in Chicago - this part of the painting was actually part of what I worked on in the puzzle.

IMG_6385
I think this young girl is the only one in the painting who is gazing out at the artist. 

For the Whovians out there.... (and in honour of the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who with the special episode this weekend - so exciting!!!) here is the same scene with a bit of a difference.

http://www.tonecartoons.co.uk/blog/archives/5399

Daleks are not the scariest of monsters to me anymore. ( I blame Steven Moffat for that).   I am much more freaked out when I turn my back on one of these. I now believe they do come to life if no one is looking. At least this one is missing its fingers so it would be easier to evade its grip as it tried to send you back in time!

Marble statue in the Pergamon
While not truly a Weeping Angel, I couldn't help but try not to blink when I saw it!

No comments:

nRelate - All Sections