25 April 2013

April 25 Photo: Life is...

The only picture I took on Thursday.
Life is....

I started the day with this assignment and had no clear plan of how I was going to capture a resolution to this sentence in a picture.  As I drove to work, I considered "Life is what you make it" and was determined to make it a productive and successful day. Within minutes of arriving at work, I had changed to "Life is full of surprises" when the first "surprise" of the day was delivered via email. After spending the next 2 hours dealing with this first diversion (not that 2 hours covered it - it will involve multiple hours/days over the next 2-3 weeks to set this right), number two occurred as I began a task I had scheduled as my main "to do" of the day. And it all went sideways. Somewhere an error had been made and it had had a cascading effect that unraveled my entire work plan. Unraveled but I keep remembering that my job is to take what comes - I can't rely on my workplan being the agenda of the day and that always makes these side roads more palatable.

The day continued on along this vein and my "Life is full of sweetness and light" opportunities were not  appearing on the horizon, so I decided to salvage a bit of this and arranged to meet a friend for Korean food for dinner. Aah, "Life is good. and at times (when I am not cooking) delicious." I should have snapped a picture for the day then but I thought I had done enough food photo shoots.

The night appeared to be redeeming itself and a visit with my hometeaching couple continued to uplift my spirit. I love hearing about how someone found the gospel and their story was wonderful.

After that, I went in to the office full of optimism that I could get much of my marking and personal work completed and after creating a short screencast, I went in to listen to some student audio files but my speakers no longer would work. I didn't panic - just need to reset my default, right? But after 15 minutes of checking connections and fiddling around with the control panel settings nothing was going to work.  I was feeling a bit panicked - I had used up my limited bag of tricks. So at this point I took the one and only image of the day - a screenshot of my audio devices and messaged it to my nephew - who was out celebrating his last exam of his educational career.  He made a quick suggestion by text and while it wasn't the solution exactly, it did unlock one last option I had not tried and when I did - all was well with the world.

So in the end, Life is an adventure - ups and downs come and go. It helps to let go of expectations (both in the immediate and in the long term). By the end, I could say I had a good day. (I don't think I would have said that at 11:00 am) Instead of my initial "Life is what you make it" I'll say "Life is how you take it!"


No comments:

nRelate - All Sections